Microsoft Visio is a diagramming and vector graphics application and is part of the Microsoft Office family. Microsoft first introduced the product in 1992, made by the Shapeware Corporation. However, Microsoft acquired it in 2000.
Micro_soft made Visio for Windows available in two editions. Visio Standard and Professional. The Standard and Professional editions share the same interface. Still, the Professional edition has additional templates for more advanced diagrams and layouts and capabilities. It makes it easy for users to connect their diagrams to data sources and display their data graphically. The Professional edition features three additional diagram types and intelligent rules, validation, and subprocess (diagram breakdown). Visio Professional is also offered as an additional component of an Office365 subscription.
Microsoft Visio Standard 2016
If individuals search for a powerful diagramming tool, they cannot do any better than the Visio Standard 2016 as it comes with a rich set of built-in stencils. This program’s beauty is that it enables its users to simplify complex information using easy-to-understand and simple diagrams. Moreover, with this program, you will gain access to organization charts, stencils for business, basic flowcharts, basic network diagrams and other general-purpose diagrams that you may need.
Microsoft Visio Professional 2016
Both individuals and teams will find the Visio Professional 2016 quite valuable for creating and sharing versatile and professional diagrams, which are quite useful for simplifying complex information. Apart from all the Standard version features, the Visio Professional 2016 also comprises updated styles, templates, and shapes and increased support for team collaboration such as SharePoint integration. Moreover, it also includes the ability to collaborate on a single diagram simultaneously and link diagrams within an instant. You can prevent information leakage with the aid of Information Rights Management.
What’s New in Microsoft Visio 2016
Microsoft Visio 2016 came with several new features that improve upon an already effective application. So, here are five new features in Visio that can help you:
- Microsoft Visio 2016 comes with an array of starter templates complete with prompts to get users going. Additionally, these helpful starters come with contextual tips covering the fifteen most-used types of diagrams. Moreover, It’s an amazing starter for inexperienced users who can leverage simple to complete diagram with initial efforts with great visual effects.
- Like the other Microsoft Office 2016, Visio comes with the Tell Me function that uses hundreds of commands. So, if you ask Visio to do something, users will get a list of ways to accomplish the task at hand and all from a displayed drop-down list.
- With new industry compliance standards, Microsoft incorporated many shapes. So, that meet specifications for UML 2.4, IEEE (which is new) and BPMN 2.0. Accomplishing any diagramming task leaves users with highly visual results that meet design standards.
- With one-step data linking, Visio 2016 Quick Import capabilities bring real-life diagrams into the application for amazing data linking. However, data conversion is simple, with linking to shapes and graphics made easy in Visio.
- With Information Rights Management, Visio 2016 creates security for sensitive information while providing individual user-level document rights to preserve collaborative functionality.
Differences Between Professional and Standard Versions
|Versatile Templates and Thousands of Shapes||Yes||Yes|
|Import DWG Files (import AutoCAD files with support up to DWG 2010)||Yes||Yes|
|Support for Industry Standards||No||Yes|
|Fast Startup with Starter Diagrams||Yes||Yes|
|Tell Me Intuitive Searches||Yes||Yes|
|Built-in Themes & Effects||Yes||Yes|
|Live Data Overlay||No||Yes|
|Data to Diagram||No||Yes|
|One-step Data Linking||No||Yes|
|Co-authoring (requires Office 365 or SharePoint)||No||Yes|
|Integration with Skype for Business (licensed separately)||Yes||Yes|
|Easy Diagram Sharing||Yes||Yes|
|Anywhere Access (web & iPad Apps)||Yes||Yes|
|Full Fidelity (for use with web and iPad apps with pan & zoom)||Yes||Yes|
Why Upgrade to 2016?
Based on the chart above, reasons to upgrade to the latest version of Visio 2016 abound. Moreover, new features mean gaining the latest capabilities for creating and sharing vital information to impress management or clients. Improved diagram tools, intuitive searches, and Skype for business capabilities all add to existing visual output. Access via tablet and handheld devices enables remote or field users to view files via web and iPad apps with intuitive pan and zoom functionality.
Why Upgrade to Professional?
Visio 2016 Professional adds increased functionality where needed. While the Standard edition packs newer features, business needs may dictate upgrading to the Professional edition. Collaborative features may well be necessary for larger organizations, while some business requirements for secured data may further drive the need for an upgrade to Professional. Likewise, users who need to import real-world data into Visio files can take advantage of the new Live Data Overlay, Data to Diagram, One-step Data Linking, and Data Refresh feature. Additionally, organizations using Office 365 or SharePoint can easily leverage co-authoring capabilities. Discuss your Visio needs with one of our representatives for the best fit for your business’s dynamics